And now we continue into 1999. I realize I’m leaving out a bunch of shows featuring smaller bands whose names have been lost to the annals of time. But I will do my best to be as accurate as possible. On to part 2. Here’s a link to part 1 if you’re a glutton for punishment.
29. Frank Black – January 18, 1999 – Cow Haus, Tallahassee – This week in January might have been the best week of concerts the capital city of Tallahassee ever enjoyed. At the very least it was the best week I experienced in my 4 years there. It all started with the singer of The Pixies who I would continue to see many times afterward.
30. Blonde Redhead – January 19?, 1999 – Cow Haus – Best week of concerts Tallahassee ever had continued.
31. Jon Spencer Blues Explosion – January 21, 1999 – Cow Haus – Music fans are divided on this band. But this show lived up to their name. It was explosive!
32. Paleo Festival – July 24, 1999 – Nyon, Switzerland – I was nearing the tail end of bumming around Europe for two months. I was so low on cash. My friend Patrick wanted to see Iggy Pop playing at this fest so bad. I went with him. Neither of us had a tent so we went to the lost and found and picked up one to sleep in at the campground. I was too cheap to pay for a ticket. By the time I got into the actual festival Iggy Pop had already played. I saw the Italian singer Zucchero which was a poor poor substitute.
33. Zen Fest – September 18, 1999 – Coconut Grove Convention Center, Coconut Grove – I never made a good raver, but for some reason I decided to go to this rave by myself. Maybe someone was going to meet me and they flaked out? I spent a lot of hours that night trying to dance the night away and failing. Chemical Brothers were the headliner.
34. Galactic – October 13, 1999 – Floyd’s Music Store, Tallahassee
35. De La Soul – January ? 2000 – Floyd’s Music Store, Tallahassee – This was the first opportunity I had to interview one of my musical heroes when I got to interview these rappers before their show for Break magazine. I don’t remember much about the concert but I remember being super nervous meeting trugoy afterwards. He was a nice dude. even pretended he was excited to meet me.
36. Tea Leaf Green – Mondays in February 2000- Elbo Room, San Francisco – Patrick and I moved to California and for some reason we became regulars at this Monday night jam band gig.
37. Frank Black & The Catholics – March 7, 2000 – Slim’s, San Francisco.
38. The Dandy Warhols – July ? 2000 -Great American Music Hall, San Francisco.
39. Beck, The Go-Go’s – September 8, 2000 – Golden Gate Park San Francisco.
40. The Dandy Warhols – November 5, 2000 – The Fillmore, San Francisco – A friend from the bookstore I worked at went to the show with me. He won a raffle where he got an electric guitar signed by the band and we were invited to the afterparty where we got to meet the band and some kids who rented a limo for the show who gave us a ride back. But what I remember most is the bartender at the afterparty bragging how he used to be Jerry Garcia’s heroin guy,
41. Frank Black – December 8, 2000 – Cubberley Community Center, Palo Alto – I’ve written about this show a bunch of times, but it’s worth repeating. The show was at an old high-school auditorium. After the show, I was walking to my car when I heard the footsteps of a man behind me. This was like a surreal dream. Not only was I walking past rows of lockers in an empty high-school hallway, but also I was next to the man whose voice soundtracked a couple of my high-school years. I had to say something, so I asked Frank Black the first thing that came to mind. “What’s your secret?” He looked at me with grave concern: “What do you mean?” “How do you write these great songs? I mean, they’re from, like, right out of my head.” Without saying a word, he let me continue rambling. “Is it from hard living? Is it from easy living?” He laughed and thanked me for coming to the show. I got to my car and backed out of the dirt parking lot. I saw him getting things out of his gas-guzzling Cadillac, and I guess I stared for a moment too long because he had the look of a man afraid he was dealing with a stalker.
42. Ralph Stanley – February ? 2001 – Cubberley Community Center, Palo Alto.
43. Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks – March 12, 2001 – Fillmore, San Francisco.
44. Coachella Festival – April 28, 2001 – We made the long drive to the desert to see a hundred different bands, but the only one I really remember is Jane’s Addiction blowing me away.
45. Radiohead – June 27, 2001- Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View – Normally I would jump at the chance to see Radiohead. But I had just come back from a ten day sleep deprived trip with a cult to Israel. It was my 23rd birthday and I just wanted to sleep for a week to get all the brainwashing out of my head. But my friends had an extra ticket for me and so I went. Later they did an imitation of me standing while sleeping during the concert.
46. Jane’s Addiction – October 26, 2001 – Shoreline Amphitheatre.
47. EmmyLou Harris – October 27, 2001 – Golden Gate Park, San Francisco.
47. The Breeders – October ? 2001 – The Catalyst, Santa Cruz.
48. Gorillaz – March 7, 2002 – The Warfield, San Francisco. Weird show for a great band. They were supposed to be a band of cartoon characters, so the musicians played behind a wall and you couldn’t see them. Rather you’d watch the animated characters on the screen.
49. Frank Black – March 15, 2002 – The Catalyst, Santa Cruz.
50. Modest Mouse, The Flaming Lips, De La Soul, Cake – August 10, 2002 – Greek Theatre, Berkley.
51. Sonic Youth – August 28, 2002 – Amoeba Records, San Francisco.
52. Beck – August 29, 2002- Palace of Fine Arts Theatre, San Francisco. The list continues by clicking here…